Gerald B. Halt Jr.
Clients appreciate Jay’s holistic and inventive approach to optimizing the value of their intellectual property portfolios. He collaborates with clients at all stages of development—from startup entrepreneurs to teams of engineers at Fortune 500 companies—to secure, manage and protect their IP, devising and implementing results-oriented strategies in order to provide peace of mind that those assets are secure.
Well regarded for his skill in drafting and negotiating patent licensing agreements, agreements of sale, confidentiality agreements and non-disclosure agreements, Jay is also known for his experience and aptitude in performing due diligence, patentability, validity, and state-of-the-art analyses and opinions.
Jay’s keen analytical instincts also come into play in advising and evaluating startups. Whether his client is seeking to raise capital or invest it, his pragmatic counsel stems from plentiful hands-on experience.
Jay is well versed in the international regulations of the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) and partners with foreign attorneys and businesses throughout Europe and Asia to facilitate their IP needs in the United States. Notably, he has counseled Japanese businesses for more than 20 years, resulting in a dedicated service group within the firm. Ever mindful of the cost and competitive pressures faced by foreign clients, Jay continuously strives to deliver IP services with speed and superlative service.
Previous Work and Industry Experience
Jay worked for six years as an electrical engineer for the Philadelphia Electric Company (PECO) while simultaneously earning his J.D. from Widener University School of Law.
- Zoom, 11.19.2020
- Ten Volpe and Koenig Attorneys Recognized in the 2020 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America Rankings08.15.2019
- Volpe and Koenig Announces New Book- “FDA and Intellectual Property Strategies for Medical Device Technologies”01.07.2019
- 10 Volpe and Koenig, P.C., Attorneys Named to 2018 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists05.18.2018
- Volpe and Koenig Attorneys Discuss IP With Cohort of International Entrepreneurs and Business Leaders03.23.2018
- Thirteen Volpe and Koenig, P.C. Attorneys Named to 2017 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists05.17.2017
- Volpe and Koenig, P.C. President and CEO Named to Villanova’s Engineering Entrepreneurship Advisory Board04.03.2017
Insights & Resources
- Webinar for Japan Foreign Associates- Cut Costs, Not Quality- How IP Counsel Can Manage Patent Portfolio CostsWebinar04.14.2021
In this episode of IP Goes Pop!, Jay Halt, Shareholder at Volpe Koenig, and Ankit Aggarwal, Associate at Volpe Koenig, join Shareholder Michael Snyder to talk about Artificial Intelligence in pop culture. They discuss inventorship and how it can become even more complicated when Artificial Intelligence is added to the picture.
- Imagine That IP Law Blog, 04.25.2018
- Imagine That IP Law Blog, 04.04.2017
Jay's work spans multiple technologies, including:
- MPEG and wireless communication systems
- Communication system protocols
- Microwave systems and components
- Optical barcode scanners
- Fiber optic systems
- Semiconductor devices and semiconductor fabrication equipment
Honors and Activities
- Selected by attorney peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America®, published by Best Lawyers LLC, for Litigation – Intellectual Property and Patent Law, (2013-2021) View methodology used for selection.
Selected to the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® list, published by Thomson Reuters, (2010-2020) View methodology used for selection.
- Selected as a "Patent Star" in Managing Intellectual Property's IP Stars, (2020-2021) View methodology used for selection.
- No aspect of these advertisements have been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- Philadelphia Intellectual Property Law Association (PIPLA)
- Brehon Law Society
- Philadelphia Union League
- Philadelphia Alliance for Capital and Technologies (PACT)
- Engineering Entrepreneurship Advisory Board, Villanova University
- Citizens Diplomacy International, Philadelphia Board Member
- Community Design Collaborative, Board Member
Widener University School of Law/Delaware Law School, J.D.
Villanova University, B.S., Electrical Engineering
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit