John J. O'Malley
Clients prize John’s wealth of creative ideas for growing and protecting their businesses. Naturally outgoing, he has developed an extensive network of contacts that benefit clients as he advances their interests. John works closely with clients of all sizes and types to develop strategies for building brands and developing and protecting U.S. and international trademark portfolios.
A significant part of his practice involves counseling startups and emerging companies on taking their business to the next level.
John’s trademark work includes providing clearance opinions as well as preparing and prosecuting trademark and copyright applications. He also routinely conducts IP audits and IP due diligence for banks, IP investment companies, venture capital firms and private equity investors. His work further extends to negotiating and drafting intellectual property agreements including licenses, confidentiality assignments, joint development, software development, and website development agreements. John regularly handles domain name disputes and acquisitions and counsels clients on IT, internet, website and e-commerce transactions.
Litigation can be an important and necessary step in protecting intellectual property rights and John has litigated and enforced rights involving trademarks, domain names, patents, copyrights, unfair competition, false advertising and the internet.
John is also an adjunct professor at Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law where he teaches IP Licensing and Strategy.
Life Beyond Law
John enjoys reading about history, and especially ancient history. His guilty pleasure is following the always interesting local sports teams we have in Philadelphia.
- Zoom, 11.19.2020
- Ten Volpe and Koenig Attorneys Recognized in the 2020 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America Rankings08.15.2019
- 10 Volpe and Koenig, P.C., Attorneys Named to 2018 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists05.18.2018
- New E.U. Data Privacy Regulations: Impact, Risks and Strategies for U.S. Companies Doing Business in Europe08.29.2017
- Thirteen Volpe and Koenig, P.C. Attorneys Named to 2017 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists05.17.2017
Insights & Resources
This week IP Goes Pop! watches the documentary Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem, and Madness*, the popular Netflix documentary series about self-titled Joe Exotic. Michael Snyder is joined this week by fellow Volpe Koenig shareholder John O’Malley, head of the firm’s Trademark Group.
- Imagine That IP Law Blog, 11.13.2020
- Trouble Ahead for Global Data Exchanges: The Court of Justice of the EU Strikes Down “Privacy Shield”Imagine That IP Law Blog, 07.24.2020
- Imagine That IP Law Blog, 02.25.2020
- Imagine That IP Law Blog, 05.30.2018
- Imagine That IP Law Blog, 02.21.2018
Honors and Activities
- Selected by attorney peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America®, published by Best Lawyers LLC, for Copyright Law and Trademark Law, (2012 - 2020)
Selected to the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® list, published by Thomson Reuters, (2012-2018, 2020)
Selected to the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® - Rising Star list, published by Thomson Reuters, (2006-2007)
- Selected as a "Trademark Star" in Managing Intellectual Property's IP Stars, (2020)
- International Trademark Association
- Brehon Law Society
- Greater Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce
- Irish-American Chamber and Business Network, Member of the Board
- Irish Immigration Center of Philadelphia, Member of the Board
- Family and Community Services of Delaware County, Board Member
- Committee of 70, Board Member
Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law, J.D.
George Washington University, B.A., Political Science, cum laude
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Court
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania