Copyright is a powerful tool to protect your creative work, from texts, music, graphics, photographs, and computer software to websites. Copyright allows for such protection in a cost effective manner.
Significantly, all individuals and companies generate copyrightable material when they create original works of authorship. An understanding of how to protect such copyrightable material is therefore valuable.
Further, in a global, digitally-connected world, it can at times be a challenge determining the balance between protectable expression and the right to copy. Knowing how your rights are affected by copyright is an important part of navigating these legal issues.
Volpe Koenig’s attorneys have extensive experience working with all types of copyright matters across all industries for businesses of every size and type. We can recommend and assist in implementing programs to register and/or license the copyrights. We work to prevent the unlawful exploitation of clients’ original works. We can also assist in ensuring appropriate agreements are in place as new copyrightable works are developed so that no surprises arise.
When a client needs to use copyrighted material, Volpe Koenig also provides counsel to determine what permissions are required. If necessary, we work with clients to obtain or provide appropriate transfers of rights or required licenses.
Our attorneys are thoroughly familiar with the full spectrum of copyright law, with a focus on the following services:
- Copyright Registration with the U.S. Copyright Office
- Open source software review and tracking
- Advice regarding protection of images and content on websites and in social media
- Chain of title searches
- Copyright assignments and recordation of documents at the U.S. Copyright Office
- Negotiating assignment and license agreements
- Database protection
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) Notice and Takedown and Safe Harbor provisions
Proficiencies & Successes
- Food Wine and Spirits
We help clients protect their innovations and grow their brands utilizing a combination of patents, trade secrets, copyrights, and trademarks.
Volpe Koenig’s cannabis team works with distributors, retailers, suppliers, and investors to secure and protect their innovations and brands.
- Imagine That IP Law Blog, 01.14.2020
- Imagine That IP Law Blog, 09.04.2019
- Imagine That IP Law Blog, 02.27.2018
- Imagine That IP Law Blog, 02.21.2018