Randolph J. Huis
In the halls of Volpe Koenig, Randy is known as the man who can fix anything. His clients appreciate his keen intellect as well as his prowess in obtaining and strategically enforcing their patents. He is particularly well regarded for his mechanical and electromechanical patent prosecution, his patent validity analyses and licensing. His clients rely on him for representation in patent, trademark and copyright litigation.
As a former design engineer and registered professional engineer, he makes it easier for in-house counsel and management to fill the gap between an inventor’s technical ideas and the legal process of protecting inventions.
Randy’s patent practice often starts with reviewing design concepts with inventors, advising them on patentability and infringement issues, and working with clients and inventors to design around any potential infringement issues prior to incurring tooling and other costs. Preparation of a provisional or non-provisional application may take place prior to or simultaneously with these efforts, depending on competitors, market timing, and other factors. During patent prosecution, Randy works with clients to navigate through the examination and approval process.
In inter partes matters, Randy works with clients to enforce their intellectual property rights through litigation in federal courts as well as arbitration and/or licensing negotiations, depending on the business objective. Randy has litigated patent, trademark and copyright matters on behalf of his clients. He has successfully asserted clients’ patents against infringers, obtaining damage awards and injunctions, and defended clients from charges of infringement.
Randy regularly works with clients in Germany, Switzerland and Austria on the U.S. intellectual property matters involving patent prosecution as well as litigation.
Previous Work and Industry Experience
Randy previously worked as a design engineer at Boeing for helicopters and V/STOL aircraft, including work on the Chinook and Sea Knight helicopters and V-22 Osprey. He also has hands-on experience in automotive engines and transmissions as well as auto restoration.
Life Beyond Law
Randy is always interested in learning something new, which makes working with inventors on protecting new technology more than just a job. He enjoys woodworking and has restored classic cars.
- Ten Volpe and Koenig Attorneys Recognized in the 2020 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America Rankings08.15.2019
- 10 Volpe and Koenig, P.C., Attorneys Named to 2018 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists05.18.2018
- Thirteen Volpe and Koenig, P.C. Attorneys Named to 2017 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists05.17.2017
Insights & Resources
- The Clock Runs Out On Laches: Supreme Court Eliminates Laches as a Defense to Patent Suits Brought Within the Statutory Six Year Statute of LimitationsImagine That IP Law Blog, 03.21.2017
- Imagine That IP Law Blog, 02.28.2017
Honors and Activities
- Selected by attorney peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America®, published by Best Lawyers LLC, for Litigation – Intellectual Property, Litigation - Patent and Patent Law, (2008-2020)
Selected to the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® list, published by Thomson Reuters, (2009-2020)
- Selected as a "Patent Star" in Managing Intellectual Property's IP Stars, (2020)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Philadelphia Intellectual Property Law Association
- American Helicopter Society
Widener University School of Law/Delaware Law School, J.D. with honors
Lehigh University, B.S., Mechanical Engineering with honors
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
Supreme Court of Delaware
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office