C. Frederick Koenig III
Fred assists local attorneys in more than 30 countries to secure US patent and trademark rights in implementing clients’ global intellectual property strategies. As a founding shareholder, he continues to serve in the firm’s global practice. He himself has handled client matters in all the major international intellectual property offices, including CNIPA (China), JPO (Japan), EPO (Europe), KIPO (Korea) and TIPLO (Taiwan). Fred’s degree in Mathematics enables him to handle intellectual property matters across virtually all technology areas, including:
- Computer software
- Wireless communication and surveillance systems
- Radar, microwave and optic systems
- Machine tools
- Chemical processes
- Dolls, toys, and games
- Building products
- Business systems
In addition to his international work, Fred prepares, prosecutes and supervises domestic patent applications and mentors newer associates particularly in a variety of patent claim drafting techniques and styles which are used in different jurisdictions throughout the world as well as in differing technical arts. Fred has actively litigated intellectual property issues in state and federal courts.
Fred is routinely consulted on complex copyright issues. He obtained preliminary and permanent injunctive relief in F.A. Davis Company V. Wolters Kluwer Health, Inc., No. 05-681 (E.D.P.A.). Throughout his career, he has taught and lectured on various IP related topics ranging from Fair Use, DMCA and other copyright issues, international differences in patent prosecution and claim techniques, and intellectual property harmonization of international protection and enforcement. He has taught or lectured at Temple University, University of Pennsylvania and the University of Delaware, among other venues.
Fred is the contributing Author of the ABA’s IP Protection in China with respect to CN inventor rights available.
Previous Work and Industry Experience
Fred began his career as an in-house patent attorney for Litton Industries where he performed licensing and prosecution of trademark and patent matters for the Machine Tool and Electrical Component Groups. There he secured patents on such diverse products as numerically controlled machining centers, injection molding machines, friction welding machines, grinding machines, ball valves, hand tools, aircraft seats, electrical and optical slip rings and connectors, stepper motors, and security sensors and systems.
- Ten Volpe and Koenig Attorneys Recognized in the 2020 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America Rankings08.15.2019
- 10 Volpe and Koenig, P.C., Attorneys Named to 2018 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists05.18.2018
- Volpe and Koenig Co-Founder C. Frederick Koenig III Continues Work with U.S. Bar – SIPO Liaison Council06.07.2017
- Thirteen Volpe and Koenig, P.C. Attorneys Named to 2017 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists05.17.2017
Honors and Activities
- Selected by attorney peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America®, published by Best Lawyers LLC, for Copyright Law, Litigation – Intellectual Property, Patent Law and Trademark Law, (2008-2020)
Selected to the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® list, published by Thomson Reuters, (2005-2006, 2008-2020)
- Rated AV Preeminent® by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Selected as a "Patent Star" in Managing Intellectual Property's IP Stars, (2020)
• American Bar Association/ Intellectual Property Law Section - Positions including:
Section Representative on and Founder of the SIPO/US Bar Liaison Council, 2010 – Present which conducts activities between US IP organizations and the Chinese National Intellectual Property Agency (now CNIPA/US Bar Liaison Council) Former Liaison to the Asian Patent Attorney Association (APAA) and to the ABA’s International Law Section
Former Member of the ABA/IPL Section Council, and Chair of various ABA/IPL Divisions and Committees
• Philadelphia Intellectual Property Law Association
• Philadelphia Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts
• International Trademark Association
• Copyright Society of the USA
Suffolk University Law School, J.D.
Pennsylvania State University, M.S., Mathematics, cum laude
Worcester Polytechnic University, B.S., Mathematics, with honors
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office