Patrick S. Griffin
Patrick has practiced in varying areas of intellectual property, with a current focus on patent application writing and patent prosecution. He is particularly experienced in freedom to operate opinions, as well as strategic invention development consulting in high technology fields.
Patrick cultivated his practical understanding of communicating engineering objectives in common language during undergraduate studies while working as network engineer for a leading petroleum and petrochemical manufacturer, where he designed enterprise and process control network infrastructures. After studying engineering, Patrick broadened the application of his technology expertise during law school, and by studying east/west transactions, international IP, and international cyberlaw in Japan.
- Writing and securing patents for an American multinational technology company concerning hardware, middleware, and software technologies relating to processing unit designs, fault tolerant computing, big data processing, artificial intelligence, and mobile software.
- Writing and securing patents for American multinational conglomerate regarding high technology products for aircraft engines, aircraft environmental systems, elevators and escalators, fire and security, building systems, and military/commercial/industrial products.
- Writing and securing patents for National automobile manufacturing company concerning converting mechanical systems to by-wire systems, automation of user operations, global positioning systems, and vehicle stability and control mechanisms.
- Writing and securing patents for Swedish bearing and seal manufacturing company regarding condition monitoring of industrial bearings and seals.
- Working with start-up and first time filers to develop their patent portfolio, e.g., preparation of a utility application for a commercial realty entity in preparation for their software application launch.
Life Beyond Law
Patrick is the proud husband and father of three who aspires to work with his neighbors to make Philadelphia a great place to raise a family. Patrick is on the boards of the Fairmount Civic Association (Secretary), the Fairmount Community Development Corporation (Member), and the St. Francis Xavier School Board (Chair), along with being an enthusiastic Philadelphia sports fan.
- The Quorum, University City Science Center, 03.09.2023 | 7:30 A.M.- 10 A.M., 03.09.2023
- The Quorum, University City Science Center, 3675 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, 03.16.2022
- Zoom, 11.19.2020
Patrick focuses on patent application writing and prosecution in areas such as:
- Computer architecture
- Electronic commerce
- Database and distributed computing
- Digital displays and optics
- Complex financial models
- Biometric Imaging and Display
- Data processing including machine learning and artificial intelligence
Honors and Activities
Selected by attorney peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America®: Ones to Watch Patent Law (2024) View methodology used for selection.
No aspect of this advertisement have been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- American Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- Irish American Bar Association
- Cooley Alumni Association
- Fairmount Civic Association, Secretary 2022-Present
- Fairmount Community Development Corporation, Member 2023-Present
- St. Francis Xavier School Board, Chair 2022-Present
- Cooley Law School Alumni Association, 2011-Present
Western Michigan University Cooley Law School, J.D.
Temple Law Japan Visiting Student
Drexel University, BS. Computer Engineering
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Supreme Court