John C. Donch Jr
John builds his practice on an unyielding commitment to quality and client service. His pragmatic, actionable intellectual property counsel supports clients’ business objectives while striving to maximize the value of their IP assets. John’s passionate, client-centric approach has earned him the trust of clients and colleagues alike. Thoughtful and logical, he is also a collegial consensus builder. As a practice leader and president of Volpe Koenig, John champions diverse firm initiatives designed to build strong legal teams driven to nurture innovation, share knowledge, and collaborate in efforts to provide optimal service and value to clients.
John’s focus is on providing clients with practical strategies for securing and realizing the value of their intellectual property. Clients turn to him for representation in the areas of IP acquisition, risk assessment, patent prosecution, licensing, portfolio mining, claim charts, clearance studies, claim construction and validity reviews, and litigation strategy/counseling. John counsels clients in a wide range of technologies including wireless standards, protocols and hardware; LASIK and Cataract related technology and surgery; robotic surgery including laparoscopy and endoscopy; data storage, big data and cloud computing software and hardware; automotive related electronics and software; and technology driven off-site construction solutions.
John frequently presents on various IP issues privately for clients and potential clients and publicly for such organizations such as the Joint Patent Practice Continuing Legal Education (JPPCLE), the Penn Intellectual Property Law Group at the University of Pennsylvania Law School, Temple University’s Fox School of Business and Management, and to the Association of Corporate Counsel, Delaware Valley Chapter (DELVACCA ).
Life Beyond Law
John enjoys spending time with family and friends. His hobbies include basketball, golf, and home improvement projects.
- Shareholder John Donch Jr. Advises During Hearings on “Innovation in America: How Congress Can Make Our Patent System STRONGER”09.11.2019
- Ten Volpe and Koenig Attorneys Recognized in the 2020 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America Rankings08.15.2019
- Shareholder John Donch Jr. Advises On Testimony for Hearings on “The State of Patent Eligibility in America”06.11.2019
- 10 Volpe and Koenig, P.C., Attorneys Named to 2018 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists05.18.2018
- Thirteen Volpe and Koenig, P.C. Attorneys Named to 2017 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists05.17.2017
Insights & Resources
- Imagine That IP Law Blog, 01.30.2018
- Imagine That IP Law Blog, 12.18.2017
- Imagine That IP Law Blog, 08.11.2017
- Imagine That IP Law Blog, 07.05.2017
- Imagine That IP Law Blog, 03.24.2017
Though John's technical experience is varied, the nucleus of his work includes:
- Wireless communications
- Medical devices and systems
- robotic surgery
- corrective eye surgery
- health monitoring
- Computer hardware/software
- Computer memory systems
- Interactive entertainment systems and processes
Honors and Activities
- Selected by attorney peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America®, published by Best Lawyers LLC, for Patent Law, (2014-2021) View methodology used for selection.
Selected to the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® list, published by Thomson Reuters, (2013-2014, 2017-2018, 2020) View methodology used for selection.
Selected to the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® - Rising Star list, published by Thomson Reuters, (2006, 2008, 2010-2012)
- Selected as a "Patent Star" in Managing Intellectual Property's IP Stars, (2020-2021) View methodology used for selection.
No aspect of these advertisements have been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- New Jersey Bar Association
- Licensing Executives Society
- Intellectual Property Owners Association, Standards Setting Committee
Widener University School of Law/Delaware Law School, J.D.
Drexel University, M.S., Computer Engineering
Drexel University, B.S., Civil Engineering
- New Jersey
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
U.S. District Court of the District of New Jersey
U.S. District Court of the Eastern District of Pennsylvania