Edward T. La Barr
Ed secures technologies for a wide range of clients, including industry-leading microprocessor designers, worldwide wireless standards research organizations, small companies and innovative startups.
Ed has experience navigating all phases of the patent life cycle, including licensing, enforcement and freedom-to-operate studies. He works with clients on matters that meet their evolving needs, such as conducting analyses of entire market sectors to identify and establish infringement which contributed to subsequent negotiations and licensing to realize significant revenue on behalf of the client.
Having worked both as an engineer and as a Patent Examiner, Ed particularly enjoys interacting with inventors to transform highly technical concepts into a legal framework that will offer the most comprehensive possible protection.
Previous Work and Industry Experience
Ed worked as a Patent Examiner with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. He also worked as a Legal Aide to the New York State Office of the Attorney General and as an engineer in the field of digital integrated circuit design.
Life Beyond Law
When not in the office, Ed tries to be as active as possible. He enjoys all kinds of outdoor activities including hiking and backpacking, and fences whenever he can.
- The Quorum, University City Science Center, 3675 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, 03.16.2022
- Zoom, 11.19.2020
- Thirteen Volpe and Koenig, P.C. Attorneys Named to 2017 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists05.17.2017
Insights & Resources
- 10 Questions About Patent Prosecution That Every Inside Counsel Should Be Able To Answer for Their InventorsImagine That IP Law Blog, 06.29.2021
- Imagine That IP Law Blog, 08.28.2020
Ed primarily focuses on complex computing and communication technologies but has ample experience working in a variety of other fields, including:
- Computer graphics
- Power systems
- Process control
- Artificial neural networks
- Integrated circuits
- Selected to the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® - Rising Star list, published by Thomson Reuters, (2017) View methodology used for selection.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
Elisabeth Haub School of Law at Pace University, J.D.
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, B.S., Electrical Engineering
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania