Michael’s practice focuses on electrical and software engineering related technologies, such as wireless communications, cloud computing, and consumer devices.
He regularly provides intellectual property related counsel to companies ranging from those on the Fortune 500 list to Philadelphia-based small businesses. His practical guidance assists companies in developing and protecting their intellectual property assets globally.
Previous Work and Industry Experience
Before joining Volpe Koenig, Michael was on his way to becoming a primary patent examiner at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, where he dealt with a wide range of subject matters.
Life Beyond Law
Michael enjoys spending time with his growing family and singing with the Orpheus Club (one of the oldest men’s amateur singing groups in the United States).
- Federal Circuit Invalidation of Targeted Advertising Claims Reaffirms Patent Subject Matter Eligibility Precedent but Recent Petition for Rehearing LoomsImagine That IP Law Blog, 06.23.2021
- Imagine That IP Law Blog, 04.19.2021
- Non-Disclosure Agreement Lessons from SiOnyx LLC v. Hamamatsu Photonics K.K. (Decided December 7, 2020)Imagine That IP Law Blog, 01.21.2021
Michael's notable experience includes:
- Providing comprehensive IP due diligence to a European manufacturer seeking to enter U.S. markets.
- Providing comprehensive IP licensing support to a U.S. company with a multi-million dollar patent portfolio.
- Managing international patent portfolios of several key wireless technologies across Europe, Asia, and the U.S.
- Advising startups of key intellectual property issues during early stage fundraising
American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA), Member
Michael is a program director for Minds Matter Philly, a volunteer-based organization that transforms the lives of accomplished local high school students from low-income families by broadening their dreams and preparing them for college success.
University of New Hampshire Franklin Pierce School of Law, J.D.
Drexel University, B.S., Commerce and Engineering
- New Jersey
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office