Joshua D. Schmid
Josh serves clients in a wide variety of industries include wireless communications, memory design and processing, medical devices, and food and beverage. Josh’s practice centers on domestic and international patent prosecution, with a current focus on patent portfolio development for Long-Term Evolution (LTE), 5G New Radio (NR), and IEEE 802.11 WiFi technologies. Josh also provides support in a range of other matters, including opinions and licensing. He enjoys staying informed of changes in patent policy and has advised clients testifying at Senate hearings regarding pending intellectual property legislation.
Previous Work and Industry Experience
Previously, Josh served as a senior technician for a New Jersey-based civil engineering firm, where he provided construction defect remediation and forensic consulting services. He also has experience in the information sciences, having provided spatial data collection and analytics support for several large-scale military development projects through Rowan University’s Geospatial Research Laboratory.
During law school, Josh served as Executive Editor of the Villanova Environmental Law Journal and co-president of Villanova University’s Asian Pacific-American Law Student Association.
Life Beyond Law
Josh is a hands-on type of person, and finds learning new skills to be very gratifying. After a long week, he can be found exploring Philly’s restaurant and arts scenes or supporting our local sports teams. Whenever he has the chance, he also enjoys backpacking and other outdoor adventures with family and life-long friends.
Insights & Resources
- USPTO Getting Faster: How to Control the Pace of Patent Prosecution in a More Efficient Patent SystemImagine That IP Law Blog, 03.14.2022
- Imagine That IP Law Blog, 11.02.2021
- Imagine That IP Law Blog, 04.12.2021
- Imagine That IP Law Blog, 10.22.2020
- Imagine That IP Law Blog, 07.04.2018
• Philadelphia Intellectual Property Law Association
• Asian Pacific-American Bar Association – Pennsylvania
• National Asian Pacific-American Bar Association
Anti-Defamation League (ADL), Glass Leadership Institute, Participant
Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law, J.D.
Rowan University, B.A., Environmental Studies, summa cum laude
Rowan University, B.S., Geographical Information Studies, summa cum laude
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office