Season 2 Ep #15: Holiday Snow-Tacular: IP of the Season
Sometimes you have to ask the critical questions, like: Is Die Hard a Christmas Movie? How can you turn your holiday invention into a patent-protected idea? In our first-ever IP Goes Pop! Snow-Tacular™, co-hosts and Volpe Koenig Shareholders, Michael Snyder and Joe Gushue, unwrap the iconic pop culture movies, traditions, and intellectual property disputes around the most wonderful time of the year.
Grab your hot cocoa and rethink how you turn on your holiday lights, because in this episode, Michael and Joe are joined by registered Patent Agent and “friend of the podcast” Robert Ballarini, holder of two patents for holiday-themed inventions. Bob shares the inspiration behind his inventions, the process of applying for a patent, and how no idea is too outrageous for the holidays.
3:08 Setting the Table
- Top Holiday Movies
- Ranking Holiday Traditions (9:33)
- Christmas Pickle Hunt (yes, you read that right)
- Putting Antlers on Pets
14:37 Holiday IP
- Bob’s Holiday inventions
- Holiday IP Disputes (24:20)
- Louisville, Kentucky - cease-and-desist letter for “The Grinch Who Stole Christmas”-themed decorations
- Santa Clause is Coming to Town - song copyrights and termination rights
- US5523741A, “Santa Claus Detector”
31:29 Final Holiday Thoughts