Thomas P. Gushue
Tom’s practice focuses on U.S. and international patent prosecution and intellectual property litigation. He works closely with both domestic and foreign clients, focusing on each client’s individual needs during preparation and prosecution of patent applications.
Tom also engages in drafting provisional and non-provisional patent applications, working with clients to prepare continuation claim sets, and communicating with foreign associates regarding U.S. patent applications. He conducts foreign language translation audits, performs prior art studies, provides research support for reexaminations, and prepares patentability opinions for a variety of technologies.
Tom is experienced working with independent inventors from the initial stage of drafting provisional applications through obtaining a granted patent.
Life Beyond Law
Tom enjoys running and biking along Philadelphia's historic Kelly Drive. On weekends, he can often be found on the driving range or out on the golf course. He also enjoys cooking and has recently taken up homebrewing.
- Imagine That IP Law Blog, 02.11.2020
- Imagine That IP Law Blog, 02.06.2019
- Imagine That IP Law Blog, 02.27.2018
- Tony Volpe and Tom Gushue Discuss “Fashionable” Copyright Infringement Suits in The Legal IntelligencerImagine That IP Law Blog, 05.03.2017
Tom has experience prosecuting patents related to:
- Mechanical systems
- Biomedical devices
- Consumer products
- Telecommunication devices
- Electromechanical devices
Honors and Activities
- Selected as a "Rising Star" in Managing Intellectual Property's IP Stars, (2019)
The Legal Intelligencer’s Young Lawyers Editorial Board (2017-Present)
Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law, J.D.
Pennsylvania State University, B.S., Mechanical Engineering
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office