Michael J Berkowitz
With over 25 years of experience concentrating in the practice of intellectual property, Michael employs a meticulous, balanced approach in helping clients achieve their strategic intellectual property objectives. His practice includes prosecution, litigation, administrative proceedings, technology licensing, preparing validity opinions and conducting due diligence reviews. Michael’s clients range from global companies to individuals and startups, representing a wide array of technologies and industries.
Most recently, his work has included litigating false advertising claims brought under the Lanham Act involving country of origin marking on tools for dispensing sealants and related accessories. He also has extensive experience litigating matters involving Abbreviated New Drug Applications (ANDA) under the Hatch-Waxman Act on behalf of generic pharmaceutical companies.
Clients rely on Michael for preparation and prosecution of domestic and foreign patents, trademarks, and copyrights. He is actively involved in the litigation and resolution of disputes involving patents, trademarks, copyrights, domain names, false advertising, and trade dress. He also provides counsel to clients in the form of opinions relating to freedom-to-operate, infringement, invalidity, and trademark registrability and use. His experience additionally extends to counseling clients with regard to the intellectual property aspects of complex commercial transactions.
- Trademark Modernization Act of 2020 Provides New Tools for Removing Deadwood Trademark Registrations from the Trademark RegisterImagine That IP Law Blog, 06.11.2021
- Imagine That IP Law Blog, 07.01.2020
- Imagine That IP Law Blog, 04.14.2020
Honors and Activities
- Selected by attorney peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® for Patent Law, (2016-2021) View methodology used for selection.
Selected to the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® list, published by Thomson Reuters, (2006-2007, 2011-2019) View methodology used for selection.
- No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- Philadelphia Bar Association, Board of Governors, 2007-2009
- Philadelphia Bar Association Charity Race, Event Co-Director, 2002-2019
- Philadelphia Bar Association, Intellectual Property Law Committee, Co-Chair, 2007-2009
- Louis D. Brandeis Law Society, Executive Committee Member and Past Chancellor
- Philadelphia-Israel Chamber of Commerce
- Historical Society, United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
Widener University School of Law/Delaware Law School, J.D.
Lehigh University, B.S., Industrial Engineering
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office