Lee focuses his practice on prosecution, litigation, post-grant and administrative trials, due diligence, opinions and intellectual property licensing and acquisitions.
He offers clients decades of intellectual property experience, encompassing the complete life cycle of utility and design patents, including district court and International Trade Commission (ITC) litigation, prosecution, portfolio management, due diligence, opinions, and monetization.
He has particular experience in the electrical, electronic and software arts.
- Defended a major home improvement retailer in an ITC investigation involving LED lighting device patents; obtained favorable final determination; appeal withdrawn by complainant.
- Represented a mobile device manufacturer against a non-practicing entity in multiple patent infringement cases in the Eastern District of Texas; obtained jury verdict of non-infringement in one case; remaining cases settled favorably.
- Represented a distributor of wireless devices against a practicing entity in a patent infringement case in the Southern District of California; obtained dismissal of induced and contributory infringement and enhanced damages claims; case settled favorably.
- Represented a smartphone manufacturer in a declaratory judgment case against a design patent owner; obtained summary judgment of non-infringement and affirmance on appeal.
- Negotiated patent licenses with various practicing and non-practicing entities.
- Conducted intellectual property due diligence in connection with patent licensing, corporate mergers and acquisitions, and patent portfolio acquisitions.
- Prepared opinion letters on patents related to integrated circuits and communication systems.
Previous Work and Industry Experience
In addition to his legal experience, Lee offers significant technical experience to clients gained from his in-house experience at leading semiconductor and telecommunication companies. Lee also has engineering experience with the U.S. Department of Defense and a major defense contractor. In addition, he was a Hughes Master of Science Fellow.
- Imagine That IP Law Blog, 01.24.2023
Lee has particular experience in the electrical, electronic and software arts, including:
- Wireless communication systems
- Standards and protocols
- Optical fiber communication systems
- Laser and optical devices
- Semiconductor devices
- Integrated circuits
- Microwave and millimeter wave devices
- Test and measurement equipment
- Hard disk drives
- Blockchain technology
- Smart contracts
Southwest Law School, J.D.
University of Southern California, M.S. Electrical Engineering
University of California, Los Angeles, B.S. Electrical Engineering cum laude
District of Columbia
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office