Douglas J. Bucklin, Ph.D.
Doug is a science minded patent attorney and represents clients in the pharmaceutical, life science, agriculture, and chemistry industries. He has substantial experience in domestic and foreign patent prosecution, reexamination proceedings, litigation and other inter-partes matters. He counsels clients on strategies to secure and protect their valuable intellectual property assets. He also counsels clients on strategies to avoid, or to defend themselves from, the intellectual property of competitors.
Doug’s work extends to numerous technology areas, including pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, genetics, organic chemistry, new chemical entities, small molecules, macromolecules, nucleic acids, proteins, peptides, cancer therapies, water treatment, petroleum technology, carbon sequestration, food technology, nutraceuticals, batteries, medical devices, and mechanical devices. He works with a diverse group of clients, ranging from individual inventors to universities and companies of all sizes.
He regularly provides advice on all matters related to the law of inventions, from trade secrets to patents. He also provides comprehensive patentability, infringement and validity opinions to clients.
Previous Work and Industry Experience
Doug previously worked as a scientist researching the structure-function relationships of biomolecules. His practical and scientific experience enables him to provide clients with counsel tailored to their specific needs and industry.
Life Beyond Law
Doug enjoys spending time with his family, skiing, hiking, and nearly any outdoor activity.
- Douglas Bucklin on IP Watchdog Live “Jurassic Patents” Panel Exploring Patenting Challenges for Life Sciences Innovation09.21.2021
- 10 Volpe and Koenig, P.C., Attorneys Named to 2018 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists05.18.2018
- Thirteen Volpe and Koenig, P.C. Attorneys Named to 2017 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists05.17.2017
This week on IP Goes Pop! Volpe Koenig attorney and Ph.D., Douglas Bucklin joins co-hosts and shareholders Michael Snyder and Joseph Gushue to travel back in time, and somehow also to the future, to explore intellectual property interests in the area of genetic engineering.
In this episode, Michael, Joe, and Doug discuss, among other pop culture icons, the Jurassic Park movies and how the genetic engineering in those movies relates to science and intellectual property in the real world. They also explore the current status and methodologies of genetic engineering, how intellectual property laws consider DNA, and how close science may be to bringing back the dinosaurs…
- Imagine That IP Law Blog, 08.27.2021
- Imagine That IP Law Blog, 08.19.2021
- Imagine That IP Law Blog, 03.05.2021
- Imagine That IP Law Blog, 05.28.2020
- Imagine That IP Law Blog, 04.21.2020
- Imagine That IP Law Blog, 11.04.2019
- Imagine That IP Law Blog, 10.11.2019
Doug has experience in numerous technology areas including:
- Agricultural Sciences
- Drug Delivery Devices and Systems
- Food and Beverage Technology
- Medical Devices
- New Chemical Entities
- Organic Chemistry
- Surgical Implants
Honors and Activities
- Selected to the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® list, published by Thomson Reuters, (2017-2018) View methodology used for selection.
- Selected to the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® - Rising Star list, published by Thomson Reuters, (2012-2015) View methodology used for selection.
- No aspect of these advertisements has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey
Pennsylvania Intellectual Property Law Association
Licensing Executives Society
Boy Scouts of America
S.J. Quinney College of Law, University of Utah, J.D.
The University of Montana, Ph.D., Biochemistry and Microbiology
North Dakota State University, B.S., Biotechnology
North Dakota State University, B.S., Microbiology
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office